John used various guitars including Rickenbacker, Epiphone Casino, and various Gibson and Fender models.
Rickenbacker 325 (four models):
- "Hamburg" was the nickname he gave his modified with Bigsby vibrato and nonstandard control knobs of his original 1958 model.
- He also had a 1964 -six-string model named "Miami". Serial number DB122
- He had a twelve-string guitar similar to "Miami" that he only used a few times in the studio. It's main purpose was songwriting when he was home
- After John's second Rickenbacker had suffered from some damages, a Rose, Morris model 1966 Rickenbacker's Fireglo finish, with a standard sound f hole. He also used this guitar for home studio and song writing and later gave it to Ringo.
- In 1968 John had a sunburst Epiphone Casino he removed the pickguard and changed the tuning machines to gold grovers and had it's paint stripped. Most known for The Beatles famous Rooftop concert
Framus Hootenanny Acoustic:
- A 12-string used during Help! and Rubber Soul sessions, also used in the recording of Polythene Pam.
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
- was modified with the addition of a Charlie Christian pickup
- Which was purchased September 10,1962.
- Matching to George's, who plays his Gibson J-160E in "I Need You" in the film Help!
- 1962 model
- finish in Sonic Blue
- John used in 1966-1968 and was later stolen in 1968
- Bought in 1960 according to George Harrison
- Used for song writing purposes
- Later given to The Beatles roadie, Mal Evans
- Given to him by Guild in August 1966
- Never used in studios.
- Most likely used for his home studio
- Somehow got to Yoko Ono's first husband Tony Cox.
- Currently on display at the Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Used in Revolver Sessions and for songwriting purposes in his home studio
- Since 1967 has been in the possenion of Lennon's cousin, David Birch
- Currently on display in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.
- bought in early 1967 and taken to India in February 1968
- 1965 model
Yamaha Acoustic :
- Custom made
- Given to him by wife Yoko Ono
- used after his Gallotone Champion
- suffered some damage.
- Given to Julian for Christmas 1974
Fender Jazz Bass
- received it for an advertisement but somehow the deal never came back to get it
- John eventually gave the guitar along with his Höfner Senator to road manager and good friend Mal Evans.